Electronic devices can carry over forty different materials in their components, casings and screens, each of which has its own provenance story and associated environmental, social, reputation and compliance risks. Not all risks are equal however, and different businesses have different risk thresholds, policies, and sourcing priorities.
We work with clients across multiple sectors including raw materials, mining and metals, automotive OEM, energy, and manufacturing to establish a baseline understanding of materials in their supply chains and tailor a set of risk criteria to the needs of each company. The result is a deeper, evidence-based understanding of the materials supply chain; an ability to communicate and discuss priorities internally; and a systematic approach to build monitoring protocols and key performance indicators.
Our services include responsible sourcing policy and strategy; full risk assessments; risk assessment support; and supply chain data and information analysis.
In partnership with the Responsible Business Alliance (RBA, formerly EICC) and the Responsible Minerals Initiative (formerly CFSI) we have co-developed tools and services tailored to the needs of businesses today. Our Standards Comparison and Risk Readiness Assessment (RRA) tools promote a common understanding of best practices and a means to consistently assess risks in the mineral supply chain.
More about the Standards Comparison and RRA
Standards in the Mining and Minerals Sectors: A Benchmarking Analysis of 53 Standards
TDI has completed a three-year project that deeply analyses over 50 industry standards and identifies the industry norms for 26 key issues for the mining and metals industry. This programme has been tested with 100s of businesses and consultation with its stakeholder base continues. The purpose of the Standards Comparison is to:
- Allow supply chain managers to compare relatively and against normative benchmarks the sustainability practices, standards and 3rd party assurance schemes used by businesses in the supply chain;
- Identify which materials and geographies are applicable to the various standards;
- Facilitate the better understanding of sustainability practices between businesses at different points in the supply chain and encourage dialogue to achieve greater sustainability impacts;
- Encourage harmonization of standards between voluntary initiatives.
Risk Readiness Assessment
The Standards Comparison has been further developed by TDI into a Risk Readiness Assessment that has been piloted with hundreds of entities in the mining and minerals processing supply chain. The RRA enables:
- Supply chain managers to engage their 1st, 2nd and 3rd tier suppliers up to and including mining projects and raise awareness of and encourage the adoption of compliance requirements, and of better and best practices
- Minerals and metals producers and manufacturers to communicate their risk management practices and performance to their downstream customers against a normative benchmark based on existing best-in-class standards
- The identification and reporting of the leading, best-in-class practices among businesses in the mining, minerals and metals supply chain, thereby inspiring a ‘race to the top’ for sustainable business performance
The Standards Comparison Tool and the RRA are designed to cover all materials and mined commodities and to apply to different businesses along the supply chain. Rather than focus on compliance only, the goal is to recognise good practices where they exist, and to encourage, inspire and lead others to adopt them. The Comparison is relevant to a broad audience, including downstream users, producers and voluntary initiatives’ stakeholders.
The TDI team brings a deep knowledge and fresh perspective to what is possible to help downstream businesses effectively incentivize improvements in social and environmental practices of upstream mining and mineral processing companies. They are a practical, solutions-driven company with the boldness to suggest new approaches. In my various roles, they have been a partner on which I can rely fully.
- Carrie George- Responsible Supply Chain Director and Expert in materials sourcing across electronics and jewellery supply chains
HOW CAN TDI HELP?
As the architect of the RRA, TDI is best placed to work with your business to ensure you gain full benefit from the tool's purpose.
We can support you with:
- Assisted completion of RRAs by experienced TDI staff (desktop or onsite)
- Identification and support to incorporate improvements (desktop or onsite)
- Analysis of results of upstream partners’ RRAs including continuous improvement of the performance of supply chain partners
- Data analysis of multiple raw material sources, commodities and tiers to identify common trends in the supply chain enabling strategic planning for responsible sourcing and risk mitigation
- On site assessment and audits against the RRA’s 31 risk areas